Tether Kill Switch for ATV Normally Open
To understand the quality and performance that motorcycle owners demand. They also understand that quality should be affordable. Not just for professional riders and mechanics, but for the everyday rider / mechanic as well. That is why BikeMaster continues to bring that level of quality and performance to all riders with their complete line of tools, parts and accessories at affordable prices.
- Tethers rider to ATV and kills engine if the two are separated.
- Required for most types of racing.
- Note: Normally closed.
Note: When selecting a tether kill switch, be certain whether you need a Normally Open or a Normally Closed switch. If you are not sure, check the wiring schematic for your machine or contact your dealer.
Normally Open or Normally Closed:
There are two types of electrical systems used on powersports vehicles, thus there are two types of tether kill switch available – Normally Open (NO) and Normally Closed (NC). NO switches are the open type; they work by grounding the primary ignition lead when the tether key is pulled away from the bars. Once the tether key is removed from a NO switch, it will close itself, creating a short to the circuit to which it is wired (this should NOT be used to ground the high voltage signal to the ignition coil as that will seriously damage the ignition). NC switches work the opposite way of NO switches. An NC switch is connected in series with the +12V input to the ignition; when the tether key is removed, it will disconnect – or open the circuit from – the +12V source which powers the ignition. NC switches are typically used on battery-type ignitions which have a RUN/STOP switch that disconnects +12V power, an NC tether switch can be installed in series of these wires.
Warning: Ensure that you purchase the correct kill switch! To discover which type of switch you will require, please consult your Service Manual, contact your dealer, use the Switch Testing Procedure below, or consult the Model Compatibility list at bottom. Installing the incorrect switch type can lead to serious damage to the ignition and/or electrical system making the vehicle unusable.
Warning: Always disconnect the power supply BEFORE you begin installation. Failing to do this could result in serious damage to the electrical system or serious, even life-threatening, injury to the installer.
Switch Testing Procedure:
This tether kill switch is Normally Closed. If you are unsure whether this is correct for your machine you must perform the following test:
- Locate the two wires going to your machine’s kill switch.
- With the kill switch in the RUN position, test for continuity between the two wires using a voltmeter.
- If you DO have continuity, this tether switch WILL work for your machine.
- If you DO NOT have continuity, this tether WILL NOT work for your machine.
Checking Your Switch Installation:
Before making final wire connections, it is wise to test the tether kill switch to ensure it is working properly.
- Start the machine.
- Pull the tether key while the bike is running.
- The bike should stall when the tether key is removed.
- Install the tether key and start the engine again to make sure it is working correctly.
Model Compatibility (not complete):
Key: (NO) = Normally Open / (NC) = Normally Closed
- TRX 450 /R /F /E /ER Uses (NO) switches. Ignition wires are Black/White.
- TRX 450 /ES /FE /FM /S Uses (NC) switches. Ignition wires are Black/White.
- TRX 420 / 300EX / 90 Uses (NC) switches. Ignition wires are Black/White.
- TRX 400EX Uses (NO) switches. Ignition wires are Black/White.
- TRX 700 Uses (NC) switches. Ignition wires are Black/White.
- KFX 450R/700 VF Uses (NC) switches. Ignition wires are Yellow/Red.
- KFX 400/250 Uses (NC) switches. Ignition wires are Orange/White.
- KFX 90/50 Uses (NO) switches. Ignition wires are Blue/Yellow.
- Quadracer LTR 450 Uses (NC) Ignition wires are Orange/White.
- Quadsport LTZ 400/250/90/50 Uses (NC) Ignition wires are Orange/White.
- YFZ 450S /V /SE /RY Uses (NC) switches. Ignition wires are Red/Black.
- YFM 250/660/700 Uses (NC) switches. Ignition wires are Red/Black.
- YFM 350 /X /XA /80/50 & Banshee Uses (NO) switches. Ignition wires are Black/White.
- YFM 350 /A /AS /FGIW Uses (NC) switches. Ignition wires are Red/Black.
- DS 70/90/90X Uses (NC) switches. Ignition wires are Black/White.
- DS 450 Uses (NC) switches. Ignition wires are Violet/Tan.